Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Graduate

I done graduated.


What can I say about my four years as a student at The University of Michgan? I am proud to admit that many of the best and most important moments of my life have occurred during my time here. Looking back, so much has happened: Joining the Michigan Marching Band; becoming a fraternity brother; going to the Rose Bowl; witnessing my freshman roommate plummet from high school graduate to insane and drunken drug-abuser; learning to ski; performing in the University Band; the summer of hell at Universal Studios; marching my first pregame; December in San Antonio; volunteering in Mississippi; the summer of sexual harassment in Pasadena; becoming a rank leader; being elected president of my fraternity and gradually coming to terms with the fact that I don't always know what's best; another Rose Bowl; working for Malinda Matney at the Division of Student Affiars; writing my thesis on the ethics of BodyWorlds; winning the Governors' Cup; stepping down as president of my fraternity; studying abroad in France; joining the Central Student Judiciary; my senior year of band; experiencing the glory of "Paul Prog"; the Capitol One Bowl in Orlando; taking French and Portuguese; following my freshman year roommate disaster with three amazing roommates (Kevin, Manny, and Brian); performing in the MMB Saxophone Ensemble; getting a hamster; improving my skills as a student; making lifelong friends; and so many other things...

And now, I suppose I can add graduating to this list. The 2008 Commencement Ceremony at The University of Michigan was a bit unusual. Due to construction in Michigan Stadium, the University announced that graduation would be moved to Eastern Michigan University's stadium. As expected, the students were livid about this. In response to their anger, the administration hosted several student forums to try to find a solution to this issue.

As a student researcher in the Division of Student Affairs, I needed to attend these forums to administer surveys to the angry seniors. I understood why people were upset about the relocation of the commencement activities, but I myself was somewhat apathetic at the time. When the students were asked to give their thoughts, one girl's remarks stood out:

(Crazy) Girl: "Back in November, during the Ohio State game, I remember standing in that student section until the bitter end, feeling cold and miserable, and watching my team lose to Ohio State during my last home game. I turned to my friends behind me and said to them, 'Well, at least the next time I'm in this stadium it will be for a happier occassion.' Because I knew graduation would be a wonderful experience. And now, you....YOU!, the Administration, YOU are taking that experience away from me, and I think that that is absolutely, and unforgivably unacceptable!"

Whew! Standing there, wide-eyed, my first reaction was that this girl was insane, but then I noticed the other students around her nodding in agreement. Like I said before, I understood why these students would feel so passionately about this, but weren't they going a little overboard? Weren't they being a little harsh or unreasonable?

Here are my thoughts on the whole issue: I value my Michigan experiences just as much as, (and probably more than), any typical Michigan student. And that's just it: the "Experiences", all of those that I described before, those are the moments that I cherish. I really didn't care how or in what venue I would actually graduate. What matters to me are my four years of being a college student, not my final few hours.

After a long and arduous process, it was decided that commencement would be held on the Diag. Vice President Royster Harper told me that this would raise the cost of graduation from $500,000 to just under $1.8 million. Heh...I hope the University didn't lose any potential donors during this whole episode.

And, by the way, commencement on the Diag was sublime. It was a beautiful day, the blossoms and flowers were in bloom, and the speakers were magnificent. Many students still grumbled and complained, but I was happy, honored, and proud to call myself a Michigan Alum.

Me and Mom.


Me and Dad.


Mana and Uncle Mike


Mom and Mana.

0 comments: